Friday, April 20, 2012

I Can't Wait To...


Well, it has been quite an experience being in Ghana for the last 8 months. Although it was difficult at times, I have learned so much from this experience and I’m quite sad to be leaving although I’m also excited to be going home. I have compiled a list of 12 things I can’t wait to do once I’m back in Canada. There is no particular order to this list.

#1. I can’t wait to drink water straight from the tap with ice cubes. Although it is super convenient to be able to buy water sachets wherever you are in Ghana, it is terrible for the environment and it creates a lot of plastic waste. I am looking forward to drinking water from the tap and not worrying about getting sick from drinking water.

#2. I have really REALLY missed cheese and I can’t wait to buy some cheese and eat it. Usually the best we can do is eat the Laughing Cow cheese if you’re being budget-conscious. Yes, it is possible to get real cheese (and sometimes we do get it when we buy pizza), however it is often extremely expensive. Yogurt and other dairy products are hard to find in Ghana as dairy isn’t part of a typical Ghanaian diet.

#3. I can’t wait to pay for something while using my debit or credit cards. Other than using the cards at the ATM, they really have no use in Ghana as cash is what everyone uses to pay for things. I’m also looking forward to paying for something in cash without worrying about change. Getting change in Ghana is always a challenging experience (we’ve come up with a few reasons for this but who knows why this is), and it is frustrating when they refuse to accept anything but exact change for the item you wish to purchase. 

#4. Going to the grocery store will be great because I know that the items I wish to buy will be on the shelves and I only need to visit one store to buy all the groceries I need. I found it a bit frustrating at first when I would go to the grocery store expecting to purchase certain items and the store wouldn’t have anything on my list even though they had it the week before. Such is the reality of life in Africa and it teaches you to buy in bulk if the store has the item that week.

#5. I really miss taking the train or the bus that runs on a schedule. Public transportation in Accra is frequent however the big city buses are not on a schedule and are not a reliable form of transportation. It will also be nice to use my bus pass instead of having to pay the bus fare. Tro tros are amusing however they really are not the safest method of transportation.
#6. It will be great to always be able to find a bathroom when I need it. Finding a bathroom is challenging in Ghana, especially when traveling. I’ve learned how to use a urinal (what an experience), among other toilet situations. It is really an awful experience when you get the ‘Ghana tummy’ or desperately need a toilet and you can’t find one. Everyone has their own unique bathroom-related story to tell. Bathrooms often are not equipped with toilet paper (even in my building there is no toilet paper), so you learn very quickly to bring some tissue with you.

#7. It will be really nice to wear jeans again. It will also be nice to not get your clothes dirty as soon as you walk out the door as it is so dusty in Accra.

#8. I can’t wait to see my family and my wonderful boyfriend who have all been incredibly supportive throughout this experience. I miss them terribly and it will be great to see them all in two short days. I don’t know how I could have done this without their support.

#9. I’m looking forward to having an apartment again. It is an interesting experience living in a University residence building again however I prefer having some privacy. I also can’t wait to have a kitchen to cook in as I rarely cook for myself here as the kitchen is only equipped with a hot plate. I look forward to having my own bathroom and having a quieter place to live.

#10. As much as I wanted to attempt driving in Ghana to say that I had tried it, I have not attempted to drive. I look forward to being able to drive myself somewhere and not have to worry about taking public transportation. 

#11. I have been pretty sick since February with malaria and I haven’t been able to get as much exercise as I would like. It will be great to visit a doctor and figure out exactly what is wrong with me and receive treatment. It will be great to get healthy and stay healthy.

#12. Finally, I am looking forward to graduating from University! It has been a long four years and it will be nice to move on with my life. I have enjoyed my experience but I’m ready to be an adult. I will look back on this experience with fond memories but it is time to progress to the next step.

4 comments:

  1. This was one of your most interesting posts to date Lisa. Can't wait to see you tomorrow and to go to Lone Star!
    One More Day. I'm so proud of you <3
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put all your experiences into a certain perspective. It has been great reading about all you have been through while in Ghana. It helped me to feel a bit of your experiences in a whole different culture and I didn't even have to leave home. You will have many fantastic memories to last your lifetime. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my mind this is exactly what I call a brilliant blog article! Do you run this website for personal purposes exclusively or you basically use it as an additional source of income?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I currently live here.. i have malaria and i feel u on every single word u write. U cant describe it better.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below