Monday, January 30, 2012

Welcome to 2012



Having a full month break at the holidays was exactly what I needed to feel refreshed and excited to go back to work. I don’t think anyone would dispute the fact that being a tourist in a country is far easier than trying to set up a life and work. Only once you are immersed in a place you begin to appreciate and understand it. Being in a country for two weeks or even a few months isn’t enough time to really understand what is going on in the particular country. Traveling to tourist areas in the country also means that you are likely interacting with people who are accustomed to hosting tourists.
Traveling with my parents and with my boyfriend made me appreciate how much I have learned about Ghana in such a short period of time and I don’t assume for one second that I know all that there is to know. I was really proud of myself that I was able to navigate without getting lost or needing to ask for directions. I was also really proud of myself for being able to bargain for taxis and get a good price with confidence I didn’t know I had. I had some serious concerns that this experience was not bringing out the best in me, however I know I will be going home a more confident person and that I need to worry less and enjoy the remainder of this experience more.
I am excited to make new friends in the coming weeks as all of my friends on campus have returned home. I wasn’t expecting to make such great friends and they really made this experience a lot of fun. Whether we were celebrating small victories or getting over our problems by eating ice cream in the parking lot, there was never a dull moment. 
I really hope to spend more time at work and also working on my blog for the remainder of my placement. I think my body has had enough of traveling for the time being and I am not opposed to saving some money by staying close to Accra.
I have also compiled a brief list of the things I want to accomplish by the time I leave Ghana. I am quite amazed at how much I have accomplished in only a few months. Hopefully I will continue to grow and learn in the coming months.

The Ghana List:
  • Fall asleep on every beach I visit
  • Learn a bit of the local language (Twi) (done)
  • Take a tro tro by myself (done)
  • See a hippo in the wild
  • Take a safari through Mole National Park (done)
  • See an elephant in the wild (done)
  • Ride on a motorcycle (done)
  • Ride on a tractor (done)
  • Visit a witches camp in the north (done) 
  • See one of the historic mosques in the North (done)
  • Visit Kejetia market in Kumasi (done)
  • Tour at least 10 forts/castles
  • See monkeys (done)
  • Climb a mountain (done)
  • Learn how to negotiate for a taxi (done)
  • Do some African dance (done)
  • Master cooking one Ghanaian dish
  • Make a charitable contribution in some capacity

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are back.I've been waiting for your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had a great time with you in Ghana. You were an excellent guide and travel companion. We were impressed and thrilled to see how well you have adapted to life in Ghana. Love ya the parental units aka old people

      Delete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below