Tuesday, November 1, 2011

6 Months Left

I wrote this post on October 21st but due to Ghana internet - I haven't been able to post.


As of this week, I only have another six months left of placement. I can’t believe I’ve been here in Ghana for a month and a half. Some days it feels like time is flying by, other days it feels as though it is dragging on endlessly. In honour of having six months remaining, I have assembled a list of my six favourite things about Ghana.
Food: I was expecting a diet including a LOT of rice however I wasn’t prepared for how good the food is here! Most of the food here is high in carbs but I know I am healthier now because nothing is really made with any preservatives - everything I am eating is made fresh that day with fresh Ghanian produce. My first love when we got here was jollof rice (think regular rice cooked with tomato sauce with some vegetables thrown in and a generous portion of chili peppers!!) which I eat at least twice a week. Red red is another popular thing here - plantains fried in palm oil (yes this is very bad for you) with beans (I think?). It’s quite tasty but I try to limit myself to prevent stomach issues later on. My new love is fufu with groundnut soup! Fufu does take a bit to get used to, you’re not supposed to chew it, simply swallow it. Considering we are so used to chewing everything, my first attempt at fufu was very slow as I consciously had to remind myself not to chew. Groundnut soup is wonderful and a bit spicy and I’m sure it will become one of my favourite dishes. In Ghana you won’t be going hungry. There is lots of food that is delicious.
The morning: I love the five minutes I spend every morning just contemplating life on my balcony while watching the world go by. It’s usually less noisy in the morning than it is later in the day so I like to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet - a unique thing in Accra! 
Countryside: Accra give little indication of the beauty of Ghana. Accra is dusty, busy, and noisy. Once you leave Accra and head east towards the Volta region, the natural landscape is beautiful and lush. The tree covered mountains and the green landscape are stunning. Sometimes I really wish I could pack up and move somewhere else in Ghana. But that is what weekends are for, I really enjoy getting out of Accra.
Beautiful scenery at the top of Mount Afadjato


People I work with: I really am growing to love my co-workers, quirks and religion and all. I am amazed with how kind they are to me and how much they enjoy telling me all about Ghana and helping me to get my footing here in Ghana. They love hearing about Canada, especially about snow and the Inuit which doesn’t surprise me much. I find it very interesting to compare things like health care and school here in Ghana to what I have experienced in Canada. They have been helping me with my trip planning also and are keen to hear about what adventures I get up to on the weekends.


Music: I am starting to hear more Ghanian music and some of it is really good! Some of it is quite inappropriate and some is borderline offensive - especially the song whose chorus is “Thank God I’m not a Nigerian”. It is rather shocking that such blatant discrimination is allowed on the airwaves. I like how even the music is laid back and relaxing (not that Ghanians are in need of relaxation). It is challenging to work when Ghanian music is being played in the office because when you’re hot and listening to tropical music - all you want to do is sit on a beach somewhere. Ghanian movies are also something else. I got my first taste of Ghanian movies this week on the bus to Volta region. Boy some of them are really badly acted and very very low budget. Some of them aren’t so bad though. I do understand why people complain about how loud they play the movies - it is very difficult to sleep with a movie blaring. 
My friends: While it took a couple weeks to start making good friends - I am now thoroughly enjoying traveling with friends that I have made here in Ghana both foreign and local. Even if our trip doesn’t go well or bad things happen (Nzulezo), we always seem to manage to have a blast and make the most of it. I am going to really miss those who are leaving in December. I also appreciate that we can talk about some of the challenges we face being outsiders in a completely different culture and some of the frustrations we experience. I also enjoy learning about other people’s life experiences in their home countries. It’s pretty cool how you make friends from around the world when you are overseas.


With friends Veronika and Lisa at Nzulezo
It’s quite amazing how time flies when you’re away. It feels like I’ve just arrived but that I’ve been here my whole life. I am finally mastering simple daily tasks like feeding myself and getting around. I’m very proud of myself that my geography has improved tremendously. I have a good grasp on East Legon, Madina, Haatcho, and the University campus. Simply knowing where I am at all times makes me feel a lot more comfortable. My Twi is improving a bit. I can say the words however my accent is not correct (I seem to revert to a French accent for some reason). I can say the days of the week and tell you what day of the week it is and what tomorrow is, I can ask your name and tell you mine, and I can greet you in the morning. I have started learning how to count which I hope to master this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below