Monday, June 20, 2011

June Update About Ghana

I finally had my tonsils removed June 14th and despite the pain and the frustratingly slow recovery, not helped by a bad reaction to the pain medication, I have had ample time to think about the upcoming placement. The e-ticket has been purchased for my flight to Ghana in September (another reality check, if I didn't already believe that I was going, I sure am now!), and I have started to read some literature about travel in Ghana.
Information is power and in this case, the more I read and get acquainted with Ghana the more confident I am about going. In the last month or so I have run into many people who have either been to Ghana themselves either to volunteer or to travel or who know someone who went and who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I find it encouraging that I have yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy Ghana.
The first travel book I purchased is a general guide to travelling in Africa and contained a lot of very useful information from what to pack to how to deal with potentially dangerous situations. While I am still nervous about travelling internationally by myself as I have never being overseas without my parents, I know I will manage and I am excited to gain a greater sense of independence and confidence. I think back to all of the amusing experiences my Mom had when we moved to England when I was little as we were all getting used to life in a new country. Simple things like using a telephone of buying groceries were a big challenge and a big success once they were achieved. I am sure I will have my own funny stories upon arrival back in Canada.
Instead of worrying about how I am going to miss my friends and family while I am away, I am trying to focus on the positive and start planning my Christmas trip. The book was useful because it described some of the main attractions in Ghana and things to see.
Cape Coast Castle
Cape Coast is the first destination I was really excited to see. Cape Coast Castle is a restored slave base originally build by the Swedes as a port for the transportation of timber and minerals and was eventually transformed by the British to be the main shipping points for African slaves for over 200 years. The Cape Coast Castle has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has been restored to give visitors a glimpse of what the experience was like for African slaves before being shipped to America. The book estimates that between 2000 and 10,000 slaves were shipped from Cape Coast and other ports in what was once the Gold Coast. The Door of No Return and the dungeons are some of the important aspects of the site. As someone who loves history and who doesn't have a significant knowledge about the slave trade, I am excited to visit this site and other similar sites along the Ghanian coast.
Mole National Park & Kakum National Park
If you are going to Africa for any length of time, going on safari is kind of a must. Mole National Park is located North-West in Ghana and, according to my book, is the best safari in Ghana. Mole is home to elephants, hippos, and many other species of wildlife. Kakum National Park is inland from Cape Coast in South-Western Ghana and is home to elephants, leopards, antelopes, monkeys, and many other animals. Kakum National Park has a 300m canopy walk where visitors can enjoy the lush environment. I am most excited about taking a safari trip to be able to see these exotic animals in their natural habitat. I think it is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I am not going to pass up!
Coffin Industry - Accra
This is an intriguing aspect of the Ga culture in Accra. The book described how the Ga people lay the deceased in extraordinary coffins, unlike the relatively plain coffins which are customary in North America. Coffins can come in all sorts of shapes and bright colours including fish, airplanes, and mobile phones. This unique aspect of their culture has spurred on a new industry making small replicas of these elaborate coffins for tourists. This would be something I would be interested in and is one of the many unique aspects of Ga culture.
Visiting Old Accra is another adventure I am excited to make. While it is always interesting to see the new parts of a city, visiting the older and historic parts is far more fascinating. Accra was a small fishing town only a few generations ago, before the capital was moved there from Cape Coast. Being able to see the old streets and houses would be quite interesting to fully appreciate the capital of Ghana.

All in all, I am getting excited about going in September and I am no longer as fearful about going as I once was. I am interested in adding other attractions to my list if anyone has any further suggestions for my weekend travels next year.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa, you're going to have so much fun! My Roommate's parents immigrated from Ghana, I am sure if you have any questions I can field them to her and maybe she can be of use. I am so envious of your trip, it's going to be such an amazing experience for you! :D
    Luv, your cousin, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun reading that Africa book this weekend. I know that you're very prepared for this trip and you will do wonders over there. Could you maybe do a full post on Mole National Park? Seeing as we're planning on visiting it for Christmas.
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably don't remember this, but we once talked about this last year or so, and you told me how excited you were. It was really nice to see such passion for something like this. I think it's great that you're going to help out and not just prance around liek a rich westerner. It really does make a difference in the world.
    P.S.: You're writing is quite good.

    Chrisitine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa

    I haven't had the opportunity to do much research about the cultural attractions in Ghana yet, so I really appreciate reading your post. I am certain we'll have an amazing time, and hopefully we can visit some locations together!

    Tallia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt similarly when I received my ticket.. there's no turning back (well, at least without costs).

    One of my friends spent 8 months in Ghana, and mentioned that Cape Coast is amazing. His pictures are amazing, and I'm sure you're going to have a great time.

    If you continue to post, as you actually visit these places, I may have to use you blog as a bit of a travel guide! ;) Great post- I'm interested in keeping up to date with other students going to other countries because I wish we were able to travel to them all!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below