Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Placement

Over the last week, several of my classmates have been given a new field placement for next year. I have also been given a different placement, one that I am pretty excited about. I have now been assigned to work with the group Friends of the Earth or (FoE), an advocacy group with offices in many countries around the world. My original placement was of interest to me however I am confident that working with Friends of the Earth will be a positive experience and I will learn a lot.
FoE is the largest environmental organization in Ghana and they work towards promoting awareness of environmental problems in Ghana. The position is as a researcher or program officer. I am most excited about the opportunity to do research about electronic waste and urban waste in Accra, the capital city, where I will be living. From my research, Accra appears to be a cool city with lots to see and do and I am sure I will enjoy my time there.
Hopefully in the coming weeks I will get more information about this new placement. I am excited to know what my specific job responsibilities will be. I know that this placement will be a better fit for me and I am excited to do research and possibly work on my writing skills.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting placement, Lisa. Perhaps our organizations can collaborate on projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm really excited about this placement, hopefully it will be a great learning experience. You never know, it might be possible that the two organizations collaborate, Friends of the Earth does do projects related to forestry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new placement sounds very exciting. This will be an awesome way to complete your degree. You will be challenged by the environment in Ghana, just getting anything done will be rewarding. I am sure you will succeed with the support of your friends, the faculty and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below