Thursday, February 2, 2012

Apple Disaster Averted


It is no secret that I am extremely tough on electronics. I have managed to break most electronics that I own to some extent. It is also no secret that I adore my MacBook but I have also broken pretty much everything on it at least once, some people might remember the time I drowned my laptop but Apple durability won and my laptop worked perfectly fine within 24 hours. Or the time the fan broke or the time I managed to break the harddrive or the time the power cable had to be replaced (among other things).

Being unable to repair my beloved MacBook when the inevitable happened was of concern to me while on placement. The dust and heat have not been kind to my laptop despite my best efforts. I found it really exciting that an Apple store opened at the Accra Mall which would make ordering new parts easier than having them shipped from the UK or North America.

The real story began yesterday morning when I yanked on my power cable while packing my bag to go to work. I didn’t think much of it until I went to plug my laptop in to the wall and the battery wasn’t charging. As my laptop was dead and thus I couldn’t do any more work that day, I went home to try and fix it. This isn’t the first time I’ve had trouble getting the cable to work but this time, none of the usual tricks could get it to work again. Time for Plan B.
I went in search of one of my new ISH friends because I didn’t want to deal with this problem alone. Luckily Collin was around and he offered to go with me to try and track down a new charger. There was two options; either the store at the Mall had one or we could go to a store at Circle that carries Apple accessories. I was expecting to have some difficulty trying to find this because it has been my experience in Ghana that things are easy to find until you really need to find something specific. Ghana took pity on me this particular day. The sales associate at the Apple store said that yes, they had a new charger in stock and within five minutes I had it in my hand. I was really really surprised at how easy that was! I was really expecting to have a bit of a tough time finding one, assuming the Apple store didn’t have one in stock. The fly in the ointment was that it was quite pricey costing 250 cedi or approx 170 USD. In theory we could have gone to Circle to see if it was possible to get the cable for less but I decided to spend the money and avoid the possibility of not being able to get one at all. 
So thank you Ghana, I really appreciate your kindness on this occasion.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you got your computer working again. Too bad it cost so much money though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky this time! You'll have to learn to be more gentle with these delicate little electronics! Our gadgets seem to decide to work or not, according to their mood, or little people inside don't like us that day! G'ma and G'pa W.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below