Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lessons from No Logo

I am currently reading Naomi Klein's book No Logo as part of my Marketing course. While I don't necessarily agree with some of the content, it has increased my awareness of all the advertising that surrounds us everyday (let's face it, we can't escape it).

After class today I decided to go to the CIF gym for a workout. I was rather grossed out that in the workout room there was a MASSIVE advertisement for Burger King with a huge burger - I repeat; in the workout room! I can forgive the advertising we are bombarded with in bathrooms and buses and many of the other places we commonly see advertising, however this to me just seemed wrong. The previous ad occupying the space was for the vaccine to prevent cervical cancer. Even this ad didn't seem as offensive to me as the Burger King ad. I wish I had a concrete reason why I found the advertisement for the vaccine acceptable in the gym but didn't find the Burger King ad appropriate.

I guess it boils down to the health element. On some level the Burger King ad seemed a cruel joke being placed in a gym. I love burgers and pizza just as much as anyone else however being bombarded with images of burgers while I am trying to workout seems wrong. Yes, the purpose of both ads was to sell their respective products, but Burger King just doesn't fly in a place where people are going to do something healthy (working out).

Has anyone else seen ads that are out of place on campus or elsewhere?

1 comment:

  1. Ok..So i went to go see The new movie limitless , which is about a guy who takes illegal drugs. These drugs that he takes makes him super smart, thus solving all of his life's problems.

    Before this movie about how drugs are awesome.... There was about 5 min of commercials about how drugs are horrible. This kinda seemed out of place to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment by clicking on the comment button below